Bullet Proof Vests – How Can They Protect Lives?
These high fiber vests are used by the police, military and for general public use. Note that Bullet Proof Vests or Ballistic Vests mean the same!
Ballistic vests have special in-built fibers that help provide safety, security and protect lives from bullets, shrapnel, and metal fragments amongst others. The core materials being used include (Kevlar, para aramid fiber) and there are different types of bullet proof vests which also include NIJ Level IIIA concealable undercover, canine, executive, flotation vests, etc.
NIJ Level III Ceramic and Polyethylene plates have much better in-built composition and have been accepted and seen to offer additional protection for the police force, military and other public users. These are often easy to wear and hide, and thus are commonly worn by journalists when carrying out undercover operations or working in riot environments. Ballistic vests with plates should be worn when around conflict regions and where there is need for serious covert operations.
There are certain specifications for bulletproof vests and these are shown by a system of numbers with NIJ. Such fundamental specs include:
- Covert body bullet proof vest – These are also soft vests and fall within NIJ level Type IIIA
- The Conflict bulletproof vest type – These are also soft vests with plates for body armor and fall within NIJ level Type IIIA
- Where there is anticipation that serious armor piercing bullets will be utilized during an attack, the wearer should opt for NIJ level IV plates for full protection.
The following are questions you must ask & answer before choosing bulletproof vests or ballistic vests and their levels. These are very indispensable should you need to wear a ballistic vest:
- What kind and style of weapons will I likely come across out there?
- What is the kind, style and rapidity of the ammunition that will be used?
- What standard is the ballistic vest verified and then how & who tested it? Is it dependable?
- Is the bulletproof vest manufacturer/supplier recognized or approved by a professional body?
- How heavy is the bullet proof vest and how well will it fit enough to wear in humid or hot countries for long periods of time?
- How should the ballistic vest be cared for and properly managed? And then what happens if such vest gets wet?
- How is bullet proof vest being measured to fit? Is it something with one size that fits all? If you are woman, do you require female shape vest plates?
- And then when will it really require replacing?
What are ballistic vests made out of and how does it work?
Contemporary bullet proof vests are largely made out of dozens of layers of firmly woven material, mainly Kevlar. It is these layers that are sealed together into a durable vest-shaped sheet to help protect someone who wears them in case of a gunshot attack. Vests that permit for metal plates often provide extra protection! When a bullet or any form of shrapnel piece hits the ballistic vest, the impact produced disperses through the several layers of fibers within the vest.
Core Advantages of wearing bullet proof vests, ballistic vests:
- They are great for delivering maximum safety, security and protection
- Helps shield wearers’ lives from bullets, shrapnel, and metal fragments amongst others
- Flexible and great tool for undercover operations or when working in riot environments
This clearly demonstrates how effective a bullet proof vest or ballistic vest could be in saving lives against bullets and shrapnel.